Tuesday, February 7, 2012

One way to defeat boredom

In his blog post Scott Hanselman writes that one of methods for defeating lack of motivation is "skinning and themeing" of your IDE...

"More and more I find myself "skinning and themeing" my Visual Studio development environment 
in order to stay frosty. It's surprising how changing your theme (fonts, colors, etc.) can 
re-energize me when I'm having trouble with some problem or motivation."

- Scott Hanselman

But I took one step further and switched my IDE from VisualStudio to MonoDevelop.

One week later...

Performance:

  • on my 32-bits Windows MonoDevelop is very stable (Warring: colleagues had many problems with MonoDevelop on 64-bit Windows).
  • consumes less memory...
  • feels snappier
  • don't do magic tricks with your code

Customization:

I think the best MonoDevelop feature is that you can customize it the way you like.

  • customize visual style (Tools->Options->Preferences->Visual Style) however this requires some work in LINUX you jest download GTK+ 2.x theme (and it's engine) you like from gnome-look or install it from your package manager. In Windows it's a lot more work (most of gtk themes didn't worked). If you like the dark gtk theme from my screenshot download it from here. (Download uzip and place extracted files into 'c:\Program Files\GtkSharp\2.12\share\themes' directory).
  • customize your syntax highlighting (Tools->Options->Text Editor->Syntax Highlighting if you like my screenshot you can use my syntax highlighting scheme: Monokai for MonoDevelop)
  • you can change key bindings the way you like (Tools->Options->Preferences->Key Bindings) also there are 4 predefined key binding Visual Studio/MonoDevelop1.0/MonoDevelop2.0/GNU Emacs.
  • fonts (Tools->Options->Preferences->Fonts) on Windows I use Consolas 10 for everything...
  • you can customize every aspect of code formatting (Tools->Options->Source Code->Code Formatting->C# source code->C# Format->Edit)

Verdict

I am very happy I made switch. MonoDevelop consumes less memory, feels snappier and is solid. I am more then surprised by it's ability to customize according to your needs... I feel fresh again thanks to MonoDevelop I can work long hours...